The Crime Free Multi-Housing Program is an international
program. The program began in 1992 and has spread to over 40
states, 4 Canadian provinces, and over 1400 cities. Mesa
Police Department Crime Free Programs Supervisor Tim
Zehring, founder of the Crime Free Multi-Housing Program,
can be seen in New Westminster, B.C. (Canada) which was the
first international city to join the Crime Free Multi-Housing
- A stable, more satisfied tenant base.
- Increased demand for rental units with a reputation for
- Lower maintenance and repair costs.
- Increased property values.
- Improved personal safety for tenants, landlords, and
Costs of Drug Activity In
When drug criminals and other destructive tenants operate
out of rental property, neighborhoods suffer and landlords pay
a high price. That price may include:
- Decline in property values -- particularly when the
activity begins affecting the reputation of the
- Property damage arising from abuse, retaliation, or
neglect; property damage from police raids.
- Fire resulting from manufacturing or growing operations.
- Civil penalties, including temporary closure of the
property -- or even property seizure.
- Loss of rent during the eviction and repair periods.
- Fear and frustration when dealing with dangerous and
- Increased resentment and anger between neighbors and
- The loss of other valued tenants.
Click on photos to see Before and After pictures of a
property. Use your browser's back button to return to this
Free Multi-Housing Program will teach you:
Prevention and Applicant Screening
- How code compliance (preparing the property) can protect
your rights as a landlord.
- Benefits of applicant screening.
- Tips to strengthen rental agreements.
- How to become a proactive property manager.
- Maintaining a fire safe environment.
- Development of life safety awareness.
II. Drug Nuisance Abatement
- Warning signs of drug activity.
- Actions you must take if you discover your tenant or
tenant's guests are conducting illegal activities at your
- Role of the police.
- Crisis resolution and the eviction process.
III. Resource Materials
- 100-page manual with additional community resources for
tenants, landlords, and property managers.
- A manual addressing fire and life safety awareness for
tenants, landlords, and property managers.
- Many other FREE materials will be available at class
One of the tools of the Crime Free Multi-Housing Program is
Free Lease Addendum. In some states, the Addendum has been
adapted to state statute.
And best of all ... the training is
The MESA CRIME FREE MULTI-HOUSING PROGRAM was
designed to help tenants, owners, and the managers of rental
property keep drugs and other illegal activity off their
This program is honest and direct. It is solution oriented.
It is designed to be easy, yet very effective in reducing the
incident of crime in rental property.
The program utilizes a unique three-part approach which
ensures the crime prevention goal while maintaining an
approach which is very tenant-friendly. When each phase is
completed, a certificate of completion is awarded.
Phase One involves an 8 hour
seminar presented by the police and fire departments.
Phase Two will certify that the
rental property has met the security requirements for the
In Phase Three a tenant crime
prevention meeting will be conducted for full certification,
and the managers will be granted the use of large metal signs
for display on the property. The management will also be
granted the use of the program logo in all advertisements.
After a property is fully certified, it is necessary for
management to host one safety-related crime prevention meeting
with the residents each year to renew their membership in the
Crime Free Multi-Housing program. They will be issued a gold
certificate which expires 12 months after the crime prevention
Crime Free Multi-Housing Program
tel: (480) 644-2090
The Mesa Police Department's Crime
Analysis Unit web site provides many crime statistics,
including statistics on Apartments/Townhouses/Condos
Home Communities in the Mesa area.
Others Have Said About The Program...
"This appears to be the ONLY program I know which will
work in rental property."
"It will give me more self-confidence in dealing with
tenants, and enhance my belief we can have a choice in trying
to live crime and drug free."
"Of particular value was support for concepts that in
the past, I wasn't sure were correct. It's great to hear that
we don't have to put up with any drug and crime related
activity. I've been in multi-housing for 8-9 years and have
taken several classes and seminars. I learned more valuable
information in the first 4 hours of this class than in several
other classes combined!"
"The levels of energy and presentation are the best I
have ever been exposed to in at least 20 years of corporate
seminars...a credit to the force and to our community."
"It was presented in a manner that certainly kept my
attention. The information on drugs and gangs was also very
"I think you have a wonderful concept here. I would
think the goals are in the right place."
out our other Crime Free Programs: